At right is a sample of a crude but effective means is of masking everything above 5,000’ (1524m) elevation. The quickest and easiest method is to use Symbology to classify the DEM into less than and greater than the split value, and overlay it on top of the relief map.
- Load DEM >> Properties >> Symbology >> Classified
- Change Classes to “2” >> [Classify…]
- Set 1st break to 1525 (DEM is in meters) and 2nd to highest possible, 6,000 for YT
- Change symbol colours: 2x-click on patch area >> then
- 0 – 1525 to transparent (No Colour)
- 1525 – 6000 (whatever)
- DEM Layer Properties >> Display >> set transparency as you like
Optional: Export classification mask
If you want to use the mask for analysis Layer >> Data >> Export >> “Use Renderer” will create a raster using your classes instead of the elevation values.