Manually register a custom Esri DLL tool
The Imagery Workflows Team at Esri have an interesting Custom Raster Function tool that adds on-the-fly contour generation to the Image Analysis window in ArcMap (and/or Server).
A year ago “it just worked” for me, but this year on my current computer no matter what I did I couldn’t get the installer to complete successfully. After various trials I’ve finally reached the tribulations! stage, documented and shared here to save others the trials. 😉
- Close any open ArcGIS applications
- Download and unpack the distribution archive
- Use 7-Zip to further unpack the install_…_.exe
- Locate the .DLLs for your platform ($_7_bin for Windows 7, $_10 for Win10)
- Copy someplace usable, I like C:\ArcGIS\Addons\ToolName
- Run EsriRegAsm on each .dll:
set PATH=%PATH%;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ArcGIS\bin ESRIRegAsm.exe ContourRasterFunction.dll
For further details including batch install and enabling 64bit background processing see How to register dll extension with EsriRegAsm.exe?.